New Free Pattern: Alfalfa Baby Hat
When Charlie was a teeny tiny baby (in sharp contrast to her whopping 8 month old self!), Kate was able to keep hats on her with no trouble. Now that Charlie has developed a feisty little mind of her own, her hands constantly reach for whatever is on her head.
With that in mind, Kate incorporated everything she loves about baby hats – a “pixie” look, ties to hold it snug, a close fit, and integrated ear flaps to keep baby warm – into a new hat for Charlie to wear this fall and winter.
The end result is the Alfalfa baby hat, an adorable, form fitting and warm hat knit out of Terra that stays put on baby’s little head. Knit using just one skein, shown on Charlie in logwood purple, it is a great quick knit!
• Yarn: The Fibre Company Terra (40% baby alpaca, 40% merino + 20% silk. 98yards/50gm skein): logwood purple, 1 skein.
• Gauge: 20 sts and 27 rows = 4“ in StSt after blocking.
• Needles: 1 – 16” US 6 (4 mm) circular needle and 1 set dpns.
• Size: One size fits most babies 4-12 months: heat measures 7” high, 12” circumference at widest point, and 7.5” circ at base of neck.
• Notions: Darning needle, 6 stitch markers.
• Necessary Skills: Knitting, purling increasing, decreasing.